Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Now in Mumbai

few months back I was trying my hand at long exposure photography using my Nikon D60. One of my such favorites shots have been street photos at night. So I set up my instrument in balcony and tried lot of combination in manual mode. Here is one of the best shot from that evening after almost 20-25 trials.

For those who are interested in technical details, this image is captured at ISO-100, F/32 aperture size and 25 sec exposure. I had read that smaller aperture helps creating ray effect from a light source. I could get that from the halogen light above hoarding. Though I am not very happy with the overall frame but a balcony on the fifth floor does not allow much freedom to decide your frame. Specially the black hoarding on my side of road taking away the effect of traffic flow.

All in all I am happy with the result considering my first attempt. But your opinion may differ. How do you feel about it?

5 comments:

  1. I think it is pretty neat!!! :)
    But i do agree that your position compromised the frame a bit. What's the blue glow near the black hoarding? couldn't make that out.
    And keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!! long exposure shots have always fascinated me. :) they give a sense of "same world/different view". I'd love to get a camera mount that can compensate for earth's rotation and take a long exposure of all those wonderful things in the sky.

    PS: is that Katrina?
    PPS: is this beginning of a flyover? in which case, that "blue glow" must be the reflection of that hoarding on the side of the flyover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashish .. This is really nice.. I really liked to see this contrast in the traffic between the two directions .. probably trivial yet nice :) .. But, I find the image a bit too dark. Have you tried giving it more time ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pescado: I think blue glow should be of moving traffic below flyover or it may be of another hoarding, which is lower and not in the view. I do not find yhis light now. So I guess it may be some temporary activity during that time. Since this was a 25sec exposure it is also possible that some welding activity has been captured. If I allow my mind to flow freely it tells me that you are the lucky one to capture some alian activuty ;).
    Well, so no concrete answer for that one. Sorry. But thanks for noticing it. I did not pay attention to it.
    @rahul: long exposure shots fascinats me too. Specially shots of starry night. Now that you have mentioned, I remember tocapture one such shot of Saptarshi (great bear) during a night trek. But mounted my camera on a rock as I dont have any tripod. will post that sometime.
    and yes, thats Katrina, now in Rajneeti.
    @Raja: Nice to see you more frequently here :) I did not do any postprocessing of image. I think because of very lowe ISO ration (ISO-100), it did not capture any other details. Longer shutter opening was not possible because I dont have wireless shutter release. After 25sec. there is "Bulb" exposure, which means that shutter will be open as long as you keep pressed it.
    to all: Thanks a lot for appreciation. Will keep posting more and more images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ashish.. that pic is super! Yes, please do post more pics! :)

    ReplyDelete