Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Killer Voice (aka - The Dummy's Take on Chandralekha)

Have you heard this song from Thiruda thiruda? I'm sure you have.. hear it again. Never has Anu Agarwal sounded as good as she does in this song. Do I love Anupama - the singer who lends her deadly voice here? Decidedly, yes! Her voice has incredible strength and determination that shines through every note in the song.




I have no clue what this song means... but from that death-defiant voice I guess it must mean "Someone strong! Someone awesome! Someone soo-per-dooper dashing!" etc etc.. and who is it.. "Chandralekha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And voila.. there we have Big Anu! Moves so lofty that the choreographer knows the camera cannot take that much dazzle in one shot and discreetly casts dhoop-chaaon effects on the original inventor of the Martial Arts! And true to my interpretation of the lyrics.. Big Anu marches with an army of men, going all the way to the top of her fort.. proclaiming to the world.. "I am the kick-a** Queen of this fort and don't anyone dare challenge me!! Aaaahhhh!!"

If you know Tamil.. then I apologize for my absurd imagination.. but there is no point in telling me the real meaning of this song! I have laboured under this impression for too many years now and I cannot bring myself to believe anything other than my Jhaansi Ki Raani-sque story!

Update (by Rahul) : I remember seeing Rahman in an episode of Chitrahaar. This was before Thiruda Thiruda's songs were dubbed in hindi. Around the time when ARR had just exploded on the hindi scene with Bombay and Hum Se Hai Muqabla. Doordarshan had started having small snippets of interviews with some people in Chitrahaar for some time (or, less likely, it was some other DD program that wasnt chitrahaar). So, they talked to ARR for some time. He was speaking english, of course, as he didn't understand much Hindi at the time (not that he speaks Hindi in his interviews now.. :P ). Anyway, the interviewer asked him "which is your favorite song composed by yourself?" So ARR hesitated for some time and then said something on the lines of "I don't know about favorite. But I can certainly talk about the most difficult to compose, and hence the one that I was really happy about that it came out so well. It is a song called "Konjum Nilavu... Chandralekha" from a tamil movie Thiruda Thiruda. It was very difficult because it was supposed to be a very sensuous song, yet we had to make it not go overboard and not sound vulgar. Just put enough energy into it for it to be exciting and do things with sounds, singing, lyrics and instruments to make it sensuous."

Update (by SS): Sorry ARR, it came across as admirably aggressive!

8 comments:

  1. heh! good that you wrote those last lines. I was thinking of posting the real meaning! :P

    But yes, what a song! what an album!! I remember when it released in Hindi, a lot of reviews said "too many instruments.. too complex... rahman trying too hard, so it doesn't work".. and I was like, WTF?? :D This is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So.. having said that I wouldn't believe anything.. what is the real meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, first of all, the idea is more of a sensuous song that is edgy but not vulgar.. so, at least in the stanzas she is actually talking a lot about the effect her guy has on her...

    it goes something like this...

    "a little moonlight, a little fire
    they make my body.

    a little poison, a little amrit
    they make my eyes.

    a little animal, a little God (probably.. not sure)
    they make my heart."

    "someone who comes in my dreams
    and brings light in my nights
    someone who drenches my life like heavy rain,someone whom i wish for daily"

    and some of the chorus means

    "girl, if the sand sees (touches) your leg,
    it won't be sand anymore..

    girl, on your golden body, the sweat is not salt"

    something like that.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. when translated in English, yes... :P the original in tamil might've been pretty good though. We won't know because direct translation of lyrics never turns out to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard it for the first time today (overall 3 times now). Cool song, but i just wish i could wipe out Anu Agarwal from the video :P The palace and dance troupe look better without her!! All further hearings were sans video :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Pesc.. I am honoured to have made the introduction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome song.... And even more interesting interpretation .. SS. you rock.

    I am supposed to understand Tamil but I dont. Also, I never have developed the habit of listening to lyrics. So my listening experience is a few words I recognize + the tone in the music. And this song indeed seems to me to be a sensuous song.

    Anyways -- At the the end of the day , what ever works for you is the best ( Ignorance is bliss)

    ReplyDelete